But be careful wearing white, you can't hide from stains while wearing this colour! With some of our great tips on wearing white, you can be sporting this fabulous summer hue in no time.
Guidelines for getting your whites right:
- The first rule with whites is to make sure they look fresh and white, not yellowed or grey. Make sure that you wash your whites separately from other colours and use special laundry detergent to keep them looking bright and new.
- If you’re wearing white on its own you need to think carefully about your skin tone to make sure you don’t look ‘transparent’. If you have warmer undertones in your skin you need to wear the warmer, softer whites such as ivory or creams. Icy white will work against skins with cooler undertones but overall the softer whites work best on most of us.
- Think about the fabric; different materials create different effects. If you want to achieve a soft, romantic look then choose pieces in Indian cotton, linen, chiffon, lace or soft knits, for example. If you want to create a bolder look then go for stiffer fabrics such as crisp cotton and tailored pieces. It will also, of course, depend on which fabrics suit your style and your body shape.
- Your white garment will attract the eye, so think about how and where you wear it. If your hips are your problem area then wear your white jeans with a tunic that covers that part of your body. If you want to steer attention away from a bigger bust then avoid clingy, translucent or crisp white tops and go for deconstructed draping fabrics.
- White can look striking for evening wear, if you can carry it off. White looks glamorous in silk and satin, taffeta, lace and shimmer such as icy white sequins or paillettes. However, whilst it will make some look radiant it will make others look washed out so consider the effect it has on your complexion when you hold the garment close to your face.
- The white work shirt is a great staple but don’t go for cheap material, go at least mid range if you can. Thin shirts that are almost transparent are distracting and don’t look professional in the work place.
- Take care of your whites and they will look good for longer. Make sure you have the right products such as stain remover and the right detergent to maintain your garments and always wash after every wear.
White on white is the look this summer but not everyone can carry it off. The idea is that you layer and mix different fabrics in your whites but if all white doesn’t work for you, you can still keep it simple and elegant by mixing it with other neutrals like creams, light coffee shades or greys.
For those of you who prefer to add colour, pick just one good shade and keep your accessories to a minimum to maintain a neat, fresh look. Do you know your perfect shade of white? Or which accent colours will work with your complexion? A colour consultation will teach you everything you need to know to have you looking your best!